Tuesday 11 March 2014

Review: Heist Society by Ally Carter

A story about glamourous, clever teenagers running around Europe and America planning to steal back a lot of really expensive, really rare art? Yes, please.

Ally Carter's Heist Society is one of those fun, frivolous books that you didn't know you wanted to read until you were doing so.

Katarina Bishop has given up her old life as the daughter of a world-class thief. At least, that's what she thought. Now she's been expelled from her exclusive boarding school and has found out her father is accused of stealing a collection of art from a really, really mean guy. With no other option, Katarina must head back into the world she tried to escape, and with a group of friends try to set things right.

Let's be clear, Heist Society requires you to suspend disbelief. The action takes place over roughly two weeks and in that time Katarina - a 15-year-old girl - manages to jet between America, England, France, Italy and a couple of other places numerous times. That alone seems unrealistic (although her friend/love interest is super rich and has access to private planes). Add to that the fact that Katarina - remember that she's a 15-year-old girl - is threatened by a grown man who probably would be better off speaking to actual adults about his stolen art, that she and her friends plan a heist that's huge and audacious, and that they all manage to flirt and joke throughout. 

But you know what? None of that matters, because Heist Society is a great read. The story has a solid female protagonist - clever, tough, independent - and the action is fast and full on and you get completely caught up in it. I found myself tearing through the book, wanting to know what happened next, and most importantly, I really enjoyed reading it.
 
The best way to sum up Heist Society is that it's Ocean's Eleven meets Gossip Girl. How could you not want to read that book?

How I got this book: Borrowed.

4 comments:

  1. I love this series so much. I agree that it is completely ridiculous, but it is just so much fun. I love how the team all works together and pull off the heist. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read her spy books for a while, and reading this has made me want to even more!

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with your review, especially Ocean's Eleven meets Gossip Girl! I've only read the first two books in the series, but I now want to pick it up again - they're just such fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll probably pick up this series and the Gallagher Girls one when I'm on the lookout for some fun books.

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...