Sunday 16 March 2014

The Sunday Post (#37) and Showcase Sunday (#23)


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, and Showcase Sunday is hosted by Books, Biscuits and Tea and inspired by Pop Culture Junkie and the Story Siren. They're a chance to share news, a post to recap the past week on your blog, highlight our newest books and see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, or bought.


It's been a few weeks since my last one of these, so on the blog covers a larger time period than the last week.

On the blog
Review: Knightley and Son by Rohan Gavin
Review: The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
Review: Landline by Rainbow Rowell
International Women's Day post
Review: Her by Harriet Lane
Review: Heist Society by Ally Carter
Review: The Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan
Review: The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera

Added to my shelves


It's been an extremely busy week of events. On Monday I went to the announcement of The Folio Prize, and my goody bag contained a copy of Rachel Kushner's shortlisted The Flamethrowers.

I read Harriet Lane's Her recently and absolutely adored it, so the publisher sent me Alys, Always by the author, which I'm trying very hard to resist reading until I've read other books I've got in my unread piles.

I unashamedly love The Musketeers, the BBC's adaptation of Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers. You have to watch it without expecting it to be faithful to the book, and take it for the fun piece of television it is. BBC Books has done a new translation of the original novel, so Ebury sent me a copy of that.

Allan Boroughs sent me a copy of his book Ironheart, which looks really interesting and has what sounds like a great female protagonist.

I brought home The Apple Tart of Hope by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald, which was given to me by the lovely Felicity at Orion.

And I went to The Night of the Storytellers last week, Hodder & Stoughton's sales conference for 2014. They've got some amazing looking stuff coming up this year, and I got to hear Davids Nicholls and Mitchell read from their new books as part of the evening. In the gorgeous goody bag I got copies of The Secret Place by Tana French, A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan (Vaughan was also there and read aloud from her book) and Smiler's Fair by Rebecca Levene.

I also went to the Orion author party at the Royal Opera House, and Orion gave us special author party editions of The Distance by Helen Giltrow and Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. The books, when put side by side, have an image of the Royal Opera House on the front and OG on the back (for Orion Group). Inside, they're each identified as one of 500 copies.

What did you add to your shelves?

15 comments:

  1. You went to so many brilliant events recently! And I love the idea of event tailored books, they look gorgeous and it's always nice to own something special (I think so at least).

    I recently received copies of Landline and The Awakening of Miss Prim myself and look forward to picking them up. I won't read your reviews just yet, but did you enjoy these titles? I have read Heist Society and will have a look at that post shortly.

    The Apple Tart of Hope sounds right up my alley, so I'm adding it to my ever-growing TBR list - thanks for showcasing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Landline, but I'm a huge Rainbow Rowell fan so I'd probably read a shopping list she wrote. And The Awakening of Miss Prim was different, which I liked.

      I love the special event books, they're so unusual. Now I just need to keep them safe!

      Sarah

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know your very brief thoughts on Landline and The Awakening of Miss Prim. I've only read one novel by Rainbow Rowell so far (Eleanor & Park) and didn't think it was as amazing I expected from the hype (good but not brilliant) so I hope Landline can redeem this for me.

      Delete
    3. I think it's always tough when things are hyped, because inevitably they don't live up to expectations. I enjoyed Eleanor & Park but personally preferred Fangirl, which is still my favourite even after reading Landline.

      Do let me know how you get on.

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Wow. They're all such pretty covers. The night of storytellers sounds amazing. I hope you had a good time. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - I wasn't expecting it to be so good, but I was pleasantly surprised.

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Wow, you've had a busy week! Sounds like you had a good time too which is the main thing that matters :) And ooh pretty special even books are the best :) I haven't heard of any of the titles you've mentioned however will go and check a few out after this as they've caught my eye :) Hope you enjoy reading and have a more relaxed week next week after the heticness of this week! :)

    Sanna @ Fanciful Fictions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. There are definitely some good titles in my haul, so hopefully you'll find something you enjoy.

      Sarah

      Delete
  4. What a haul! Awesome. Ironheart looks great, love the cover.
    And those Orion books are gorgeous. I saw them on Twitter already, very pretty!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Orion books are so lovely. I definitely won't be reading these editions for fear of damaging them!

      Sarah

      Delete
  5. Lucky you with these events!
    Great haul :) Happy reading!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of The Apple Tart of Hope! (And I love the cover too) I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's meant to be really good, as is her first book for children (can't remember the name though).

      Sarah

      Delete
  7. I saw those Orion party editions on Twitter, love the design.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...