Tuesday 7 May 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#5) - Top Ten Books When You Need Something Light and Fun

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish, where the writers, like me, are particularly fond of lists.
 
This week's topic is...Top Ten Books When You Need Something Light and Fun.


I'm a firm believer that reading should be an escape more often than not, so I'm loving this week's topic, and extending it slightly to include comfort books as well.


1. Anything by Nora Roberts
I feel like Roberts appears in my list most weeks regardless of topic, but she really is an author who can whisk you away to another world where you know there'll be a happy ending. I find her books well-written, with good pace and great characters.

2. J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
I've picked the first three in the Harry Potter series, because after that the books get pretty dark, and can't really be classed as light and fun. The earlier books are much more easy-going, and definite comfort reading. 

3. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
A great book when I want to dip into something witty, funny and about a part of the industry I work in, although not my part.

4. Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot
I'm a big fan of Cabot, back from the days of The Princess Diaries, through her other stuff like the Missing series, and up to her adult novels. Size 12 is Not Fat is the first of the Heather Wells mysteries, and is a great light and fun read (despite the fact that it's about murder).

5. Stardust by Neil Gaiman
A magical fairytale for adults.

6. The Land of Stories - The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer
This isn't the world's best written book, but I forgive Colfer because I'm a big fan of his. It's a very sweet, fun story though.

7. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Okay, this is a book I've mentioned in most of my lists, but it's just such a good book. When I'm looking for something light and familiar, this is one of my go-to novels.

8. The Peacock Garden by Anita Desai
I got awarded this book when I completed a reading challenge at my public library years and years and years ago. It comes in at a mere 71 pages, but they're 71 pages of beautiful writing (and illustrations) about a young girl, Zuni, who with her family takes shelter in a mosque in August 1947 when Pakistan and India were formed. Being of Pakistani heritage, this book is pretty special to me, as it was the first time I read a story with a Pakistani girl as the protagonist.

9. How to be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith
A sweet book giving hints and tips about how to appreciate the world around you.

10. The Sweetness of Life by Francoise Heritier
This book is just a list of all the tiny, everyday things that make up life. It puts a smile on my face.

What are your favourite light and fun reads? What books do you go to for comfort?   

6 comments:

  1. Stardust was my first Neil Gaiman novel and it was just lovely <3 Kind of reminds me that it's been a while since I've read it, lol...Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Gaiman novel as well, and the story's just so beautifully done.

      Sarah

      Delete
  2. The Devil Wears Prada is such an awesome read and it is so much better than the movie!!

    I've now added Size 12 is Not Fat and How to be an Explorer of the World to my TBR list! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hope you enjoy Size 12 is Not Fat - it's such a fun book (and has a swoon-worthy potential love interest).

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. I've read A Little Princess so many times, my book is starting to fall apart. So happy to see it making an appearance on one of these lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mention it most weeks! My copy is pretty battered as well.

      Sarah

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...